"1. Seventh grade sucks, get over it.
2. If a boy is mean to you, it doesn’t always mean he likes you. It usually means he’s a dick.
3. It doesn’t matter if you like boys or girls or both or none.
4. Speak up. Don’t hold it in, you’ll only break yourself.
5. Give yourself room to breathe.
6. Make lists, they’ll help you feel organized.
7. Eighth grade sucks, get over it.
9. Friends come and go, but donuts will never hurt you.
10. Don’t be rude to people who have pictures of you from your awkward years.
11. Ninth grade really fucking sucks. Get over it.
12. Straighten your hair all you want or curl it all you want, but don’t be surprised when you walk around smelling like burnt popcorn.
13. Don’t drink or smoke just because everyone else does. If you want to do it, then go ahead. I can’t stop you, but keep in mind that following the crowd often results in writing journal entries about how badly you fucked up.
14. Tenth grade sucks. Get over it.
15. Your grades are important. They do not determine your intelligence, but your grades are keys that will either open up doors for you or keep you locked out.
16. Do not trust people who don’t like dogs.
17. Look up feminism before you talk about how you don’t support it because you believe in equality.
18. Develop your own ideas and interests.
19. Most of high school sucks, you’ll get over it.
20. Keep a journal.
21. There’s a difference between being blunt and being a complete fucking asshole
22. Love yourself, even if you feel like no one else does.
23. Heartbreak is inevitable, but you were fine before them and you’ll be fine after them.
24. Screw “I’m not like other girls”. Love other girls, support other girls, stand by other girls, protect other girls.
25. Stay alive.
26. Don’t do blue eyeshadow in middle school. Love yourself and don’t let people change who you are, but for the love of God do not do blue eyeshadow in middle school."
"Pieces of Advice for My Younger Sister"
, Elsie Gonzalez